Saturday, December 10, 2011

Inkan Market Shopping Extravaganza!

I have the most WONDERFUL tour guide and special friend. Her name is Jennifer Valera...
Today she planned for us to do many things....and one of them was to tour the Incan Market district. To get there, we went by bus...as do most Peruvians. It was a FIRST for me! What fun we had as we caught the bus at the corner of Larcomar by the Sea. We traveled east away from the ocean down the main avenue close to the markets...  After a long day of walking around Pachacamac and Pucusana, it was nice to ride for awhile. The air had turned very cool and I had not brought a jacket with me from Santiago...so getting inside was a relief from the winds at the ocean. Jennifer was totally unaffected...but you can see that Marisol and Misha are huddled together to keep warm!











Interesting that we had a bus conductor. Each time the bus stopped this guy would jump down and start calling people to ride...like a salesman... He helped us down to the sidewalk just nanoseconds before the bus took off again.









The Inka market was one block off the main Avenida...so we passed by this building while walking. I thought I would include this photo so show you a typical "Chifa" restaurant. The Chinese were at one time slaves in Peru. The culture is varied and mixed...  More on this later! The questions is....Would you eat here?










FINALLY...we are here. There are so many large mercados...one on each corner. ALL offering practically the same thing... Mile after mile, aisle after aisle...simply amazing.










When there is music, I listen. There was an Incan inside one of the makets playing a set of Incan Flutes... I made a movie, but can't get it to load...so I linked you to a YouTube video for scenes of of the Andes with pipe music accompaniment. Enjoy "El Condor Pasa"! I will get more and better videos when I go to Cuzco.
Scenes from the Andes

LOVE the llama and alpaca hide shops. All my life I have wanted one of these. I used to babysit for Jorge and Peru from Argentina. They had alpaca hides on their floors and on their beds. Since then I have dreamed of going to South America!



We shopped till 11:00 pm, the shops closed then... I look worn out in the next photo. I will go back for the rugs and the hides....and maybe some Alpaca sweaters on the next trip to Lima.
I bought one thing...a clock for my kitchen...to remind me that I had to see the Nazca lines by plane before leaving South America.
It was nice to have something to put on my head and to wrap around my shoulders...BRRRrrr....

No comments:

Post a Comment